MONDAY STARTS THE FIVE-DAY JUMPSTART CHALLENGE
The goal of JumpStart is to form healthier lifestyle habits for the longterm starting with this short five day challenge. With exercise and the proper nutrition, you will strive to improve and/or maintain these healthy habits for your lifetime. This is going to be easy with the support of those participating! All are welcome
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN THIS CHALLENGE PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY SATURDAY, 1/23/16. I AM VERY EXCITED AND WOULD LIKE TO THANK MY FRIEND, LILIT, FOR SUGGESTING WE HAVE ONE! IT COULDN’T BE A BETTER TIME FOR MOST OF US…DARN HOLIDAYS 😉
WHAT TO DO BEFORE THE CHALLENGE WHICH STARTS MONDAY 1/25/16:
Try to get a handle on your average calorie intake for a day. If your goal is to take some weight off then you will either increase your activity level or decrease your calories or do both. Regardless, I would take advantage of the JumpStart Challenge to improve the quality of your foods making good nutrition a lifelong habit. Once you assess your average calories per day, it will be easy for you to estimate where you need to be to stay at your ideal weight considering your activity level.
Rules of the Challenge:
Comment on fitlinda.com once or twice a day so that you are engaged in the challenge, encourage each other and aim to be the motivator in the group, share what works for you, e.g. if you cook something from the site, please share a pic and post. Let’s make this interactive and fun! We may become the best of friends or the worst of enemies by week’s end but I am confidant we will all have better habits than when we started.
- NO TAKEOUT … YES, I SAID IT! UTILIZE RECIPES ON THE SITE IF YOU NEED IDEAS. USE YOUR DISCRETION THOUGH. SOME RECIPES ARE GEARED TOWARD HEALTHY EATING NOT NECESSARILY WEIGHT LOSS. WATCH CARBS, FATS AND PORTIONS, ESPECIALLY. USE YOUR AVERAGE CALORIE ESTIMATION AS A GAUGE FOR HOW MUCH YOU SHOULD BE EATING. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, EAT SLOWLY AND STOP WHEN YOU FEEL SATISFIED.
- NO EATING IN FRONT OF THE T.V., A MAGAZINE OR TECHNOLOGY. FOCUS ON THE MEAL. GIVE YOURSELF A SET AMOUNT OF TIME TO EAT THEN GET UP FROM YOUR TABLE AND MOVE ONTO SOMETHING ELSE.
- AT LEAST 8-10 GLASSES OF WATER EACH AND EVERY DAY. ADD SOME LEMON FOR CLEANSING.
- WATCH YOUR SODIUM.
- NO ADDED SUGARS…NO CARBONATED BEVERAGES, ETC. NATURAL SUGAR AS IN FRUIT IS PERFECT.
- By 9:30pm YOU WILL HAVE HAD YOUR LAST MEAL/SNACK FOR THE EVENING. YOU SHOULD HAVE BREAKFAST BY 10:00 am. AIM FOR THREE MEALS AND THREE HEALTHY SNACKS A DAY.
- WORKOUT FOR 5 DAYS FOR AT LEAST A HALF HOUR IF YOUR ARE NEW TO EXERCISE OTHERWISE GO FOR 45 MINUTES TO AN HOUR. TOTAL WORKOUTS FOR THE WEEK WILL BE EQUAL PARTS CARDIO AND STRENGTH TRAINING. ALWAYS WARM UP AND STRETCH PRIOR. FOR STRENGTH, FOCUS ON YOUR WEAK AREAS DURING THIS CHALLENGE. IF YOU NEED HELP, PLEASE ASK, COMMENT AND USE THE VIDEOS ON THE SITE. REMEMBER THAT EVERY EXERCISE AND RECIPE CAN BE MODIFIED. THEY ARE THERE TO GUIDE AND INSPIRE YOU.
A FEW RECOMMENDED GROCERY LIST ITEMS YOU CAN START OUT WITH:
Eggs … eat the yolks … within reason.
A variety of greens to get your digestive system moving. Have them everyday, at least twice, by topping your sandwiches with extra greens or starting your dinner with a side salad.
Lemons – hot lemon water when you are craving something but it’s really not time to eat. You can add honey.
Fruit – I know it’s not the best time to buy, but melon is your best friend for hydration and digestion; apples, pears, berries are great too.
Natural Almond Butter is a great complement to whole grain breads/crackers/apples.
Nuts – any raw unsalted nuts, preferably pistachios
Whole grain bread
fresh mozzarella cheese
cannellini beans, chick peas, kidney beans… any bean at all of a low sodium variety.
lean chicken breast
fresh or frozen fresh fish…nothing processed or prepared by the store
1 % or skim milk