Crispy Herbed Oven-Baked French Fries
Try this HEALTHY crowding-pleasing recipe for Crispy Herbed Oven-Baked Potatoes from fitlinda.com. These fries are quick and easy to make. There are so many benefits to eating potatoes! They are packed with phytonutrients (click link for more information). The vitamin C in potatoes acts as an antioxidant which can prevent or delay some types of cell damage. They are a great source of potassium which helps to lower blood pressure according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The B6 in potatoes is important in maintaining neurological health as B6 helps to create useful brain chemicals such as serotonin and dopamine. This means that eating potatoes can potentially decrease your stress levels and help with depression.
Serves 6 as a side dish
Prep Time:10 minutes
Soak time: 30 minutes minimally
Cook time: 50 minutes
5 medium russett potatoes
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp cilantro
1-2 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp black pepper
sea salt to taste (I used Himalayan Sea Salt)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degress.
2. Scrub, rinse and pat dry 5 russet potatoes.
3. Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch strips.
4. Soak potatoes in cold water for a minimum of 30 minutes. They can be soaked for several hours if placed in refrigerator. This removes excess starch which results in the crispiest fries!
5. Remove potatoes from water and lay on paper towels to dry. Also pat dry tops to dry thoroughly.
6. In a small bowl, combine cilantro, oil, garlic and pepper.
7. Place potatoes on 2 baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray. Drizzle oil mixture over potatoes. Gently hand toss to thoroughly coat fries. Spread potatoes out so as to not overcrowd and create a steaming effect…another key to crispiness.
8. Bake potatoes in your preheated oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes flipping halfway through cook time. Next increase temperature to 450 degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
9. Remove from oven, sprinkle with fresh ground sea salt, to taste, and serve.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
200 calories, 7 grams fat, 4 grams protein, 30 grams carbs.
Note: Oven temperatures vary, so make adjustments as needed to the temperature and cook time.